Rarely a week goes by when we don’t hear about news of a cybersecurity attack or data breach. Media attention has increased consumer awareness. However, it’s all too easy to become complacent and believe “it won’t happen to me”.
With social media activity a huge part of our everyday lives, it’s easy to click on an unsuspecting link for the latest fads and wants whilst scrolling, only to find the item you purchased effortlessly doesn’t arrive. But somewhere, someone now has your personal information and credit card details. It’s a horrible feeling.
For businesses, the most common attack is ransomware, and these significant data capture and information breaches can be career-ending. The reputational risk of a brand and financial cost can be catastrophic.
Ransomware is a type of malware that threatens to publish a victim’s personal data or permanently block access to it unless a ransom is paid.
But there are steps you can take as a business to mitigate the risks and potential damage a ransomware attack can cause.
- Always ensure you’re running the latest anti-virus software – there is generally something to fit all budgets. Get in touch to find out which one suits your business and needs.
- Block malicious websites and links. Implement pop-ups to remind your staff to think before clicking on any suspicious links.
- Limit access to sensitive information and files. Only those employees who need to be privileged to certain information should have access granted.
- Back up your data and files regularly!
- Create a business continuity plan and share it with your team to ensure everyone knows what to do in the event of an attack.
If you find yourself in the unenviable position of being hit by a cybersecurity breach, contact us immediately – it’s never too late! BizWise IT supports clients across Gatwick, Crawley, and the West Sussex region who run into difficulty. We can clean your system and check every part of your infrastructure. We can also install and set up internet security to give your business the best protection so that you do not need to worry about viruses.